How To Measure Your Windows For Drapes & Blinds
Tips For Accurately Measuring Windows
When YOU do the measuring and installation YOU save!
If you can read a ruler, and follow our easy to read measuring windows guides you have the power to take advantage of our online custom window treatment prices. You can now have professional quality custom curtains made just for you, without all of the over head added in to the price.
- Measure the inside width of the window frame at the top, middle, and bottom (measure top only for vertical blinds).
- Record the narrowest width (do no make any deductions).
- Measure the inside height of the window frame at the left, middle, and right.
- Record the longest height to the nearest 1/8″ (verticals use shortest length).
If you prefer the blind does not touch the sill, deduct 1/4″.
If there is no sill, measure to where the blind is to reach.[/bsf-info-box]
- Measure the outside width of the window frame.
- Add at least 3″ for overlap (8″ for vertical blinds). The width of outside mounted blinds is determined by the user.
When deciding on width, consider how much overlap you would like to have.
- Measure from the sill to the position of the top of the shade.
- If there is no sill, measure to where the blind is to reach.
Important: Verticals use shortest length.
For Vertical Blinds:
Allow 3″ above an below opening or molding.
For ceiling to floor, deduct 1/2″ for carpet clearance.[/bsf-info-box]